~~ or 'Living in Denial'

There are people in this world who are organized. They always leave for work on time, never forget to buy cat food, and always say "Happy Birthday!" because they remembered that it is in fact your birthday. These are people with perpetually clean underwear, small electronic gizmos that store their appointment times, and extra bundt cake pans to loan out to neighbors. They have clean cars, clean houses, clean shoes, and clean refrigerators. And they always look well-rested.

I am not one of these people.

With this blog I am hoping to explore some ways of improving time management for normal, disorganized individuals (like me!), and especially for harried college students. With all the technology, research, psychology and social support around us, this shouldn't be impossible.

...Right?

But then again...there is another side to time management; the delectible art of wasting time. And I would be completely remiss if I didn't explore that just a little bit, wouldn't I?






Friday, October 29, 2010

Sleep. The Time-Management Equalizer? Or Personal Nemesis....?

OK, really, how much sleep do we need at night? I've heard of people who are totally great after 4 hours a night. (Y'know, those presidents of Fortune-500 companies, millionaires with well-rounded lives, and other mythical creatures...) I've heard as well that you can get your body to get by on less sleep, training it to be more efficient.

Me? I think it's all a bunch of hype. I need 10 hours of sleep. How do people survive on less? Not that I want to get all rant-y on you here, but really, I've been doing 7 hours (average) this semester, and dying because of it. Last night? (Since you asked...) A whopping 2 hours. (And don't think it's because I've got a life. Hah.)

And beyond the physical possibilities, there's the time-management conundrum: If you've got something incredibly important to do (of course on a nearly impossible deadline...), is it better to sleep and be rested to more efficiently finish the remainder of it, possibly running out of time in the process, or to sacrifice your sleep to ensure the job is completed on time? --The latter reminds me of all those war movies where the soldiers urge each other on by saying, "You can sleep when you're dead!" Not entirely comforting. And really, personally, I'd like to sleep while I'm still living.

And of course, if you're like me, and you've got 60 zillion things to do, you're inundated by those things while you sleep. Always fun. Did you ever dream the one where the Calculus professor keeps repeating, "F of x plus h minus f of x, all divided by h. F of x plus h minus f of x, all divided by h. F of x..."

Well, at least for that dream I'm not naked in class. Gotta look at the bright side, here...

No comments:

Post a Comment